Skip to main content

Favorite Resources Part 2

 

This month's favorite resource is The New Parkinson's disease Treatment Book by Dr. J. Eric Ahlskog.
Dr. Ahlskog has more than 30 years of experience working with people with PD at the Mayo Clinic. His goal in writing this book is to educate patients so that they can partner with their doctors to get the best treatment. Unfortunately, in today's world, our time with our physicians is limited. By educating yourself, you can make the most of that time by knowing what questions to ask and what treatment options are available. This book will give you the general information, put in terms you can understand, so you and your physician can work out a treatment plan specific to you.

If you just can't wait for next month to learn about other favorite resources, you can see Claire McLean of Rogue PT & Wellness and I discussing all our favorites 
here
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Advocacy in a World of Red Tape

In a perfect world, a person with an illness or a disability would easily be able to get needed services and treatments. We do not live in a perfect world and often the healthcare system is littered with red tape. Patients or their care partners are tasked with jumping through hoops, waiting countless hours on hold with pharmacies or insurance companies, and waiting months to see specialists. I wish I had the solution to this problem but unfortunately, I only see it getting worse. You need to be an advocate for yourself.   Here’s what has helped me: ·        Be persistent, be firm and be polite.  ·        Call often.  A squeaky wheel gets attention. ·        Stay on hold.  It is frustrating but sometimes it is the only way. ·        If someone doesn’t have the answer you need, ask to speak with someone who does.  ·   ...

Medication Pumps for the Trend Setters

I jest.  You have to keep a sense of humor when you are living with a condition like Parkinson's.  I am actually very thankful for new treatments even if they aren't pink and pretty.

The True Meaning of Community

  Anytime PMD Alliance comes to town, I am happy to jump in and help.  I have been an ambassador for them for over 7 years now. Recently, Parkinson's Orange County (POC) partnered with PMD Alliance for a Community Connection event hosted at Capriana Senior Living in Brea.  The event included a networking reception on Friday evening, followed by a full day workshop on Saturday.  Not wanting to travel back and forth from South OC, my husband, Jeff, and I stayed the night in a local hotel.  The weekend started out great at Friday's reception.  I was back at my hotel and in bed early so I could be back at Capriana in the morning with plenty of time to unload my car and get our vendor table set up.  Since I was staying in Brea, I had assured Erin Angelo, POC's Executive Director, that I could get there before her, so I had all our supplies in my car.   As many of you know, Parkinson's often throws a wrench into the best laid plans, I woke up on Saturda...