Skip to main content

Time to Speak Up

 People with Parkinson's are often told to speak louder or speak with intention.  This is of course because Parkinson's can wreak havoc with our voices and make them soft and hoarse.  Maybe it is time for people with Parkinson's to get loud for another reason.

Over 200 years ago, James Parkinson wrote his essay called  Shaking Palsy where he described Parkinson's.  Yes, scientists have been documenting and studying Parkinson's for a very long time.  We have been waiting too long for a cure or at the very least, a treatment that will slow this beast down or stop it in its tracks.  No one seems to know why it is taking so long. Other diseases have received more funding and attention and have gotten results faster.  No one is saying that the people with those diseases aren't deserving of treatments.  We all want health and healing.  I do wonder why funding for Parkinson's from the NIH is going down each year while the number of people being diagnosed is going up. In the book Ending Parkinson's Disease, the authors note that "by 2030, there will be a 10% higher risk of a forty-five year old individual eventually developing Parkinson's disease than there is today."

Dr. Ray Dorsey said, "We know how to prevent Parkinson's. We just aren't doing it."  Are you ok with the status quo?   If not, YOU should be doing something about it. Don’t wait for someone else to take care of it. They might be waiting for you to take care of it.  It isn’t hard to be an advocate and doesn’t need to take a lot of time.  If we all join together, we can make big things happen.

Here are a few things you can do to get started in being an advocate:

  • Read the book Ending Parkinson's Disease and then put into practice some of the suggestions in the book.  This book is a quick read and a fascinating historical account of how others took action to curb pandemics like Polio, HIV, and breast cancer.  (All proceeds from the book go to PD charities).
  • Join the PD Avengers and then attend their online meetings and volunteer to help!  The PD Avengers is a grass roots organization run by people with Parkinson’s who are tired of waiting.  “We are a global alliance of people with Parkinson’s, our partners and friends, standing together to demand change in how the disease is seen and treated.”
  • Download the Parkinson’s Advocacy Toolkit from the Fox Foundation.  The folks at the Fox Foundation will keep you
    updated on policy changes that need to be made in Washington.  They even make it a simple process to write to your representatives.  Change won’t happen if the policy makers hear from hundreds or even thousands of people. They need
    to hear from hundreds of thousands or more.  If every person affected by PD (patients, family members, friends) sent a letter, they would get millions.
  • Share information about Parkinson’s with others.  You can tell friends, neighbors, share on social media or whatever way you feel comfortable but get the word out.  Most people think that Parkinson’s is a disease that old men get that makes them shake.  We know it is so much more.

Together we can make a difference.  It is time to speak up.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missing Tom

I recently lost a good friend. Never would I have imagined that I would become such good buddies with a man old enough to be my dad. I met Tom over seven years ago in a Rock Steady Boxing class. I entered class as a shy, teary-eyed, newly diagnosed mess who didn't like to sweat and had never boxed. Tom quickly took me under his wing, introduced me to the movers and shakers in the local Parkinson's community and eventually recognized a potential in me to further help the community. Within a year, with the encouragement of Tom and others, I became a certified Rock Steady coach. Tom and I would go to the same conferences and seek out the newly diagnosed. Ever the salesman, Tom would ask me if I "closed the deal," meaning, did I convince someone to come to an exercise class or attend a support group. Tom knew the benefits of attending these groups and he wanted everyone else to know also. He just wanted everyone to live the best life possible, even while living

Diagnosing with Compassion and Hope

  My hackles are raised, my feathers are ruffled, my … I’m not sure I can find the words for how I am feeling.   This morning, I read a recently published article called “ Delivering the diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease-setting the stage with hope and compassion.”   I am not upset that the article was written.     I am glad that the authors have brought this to the attention of others. I am upset that it needed to be written.     I just think it is common sense that when someone is given a life-changing diagnosis, it should be given with hope and compassion.     The authors note that some say the moment of diagnosis is “almost akin to a traumatic event such as the loss of a loved one.” Of course it is!     The person receiving the diagnosis is losing their future self.     Everything they thought their life would be from that moment on has now drastically changed! I would count that as traumatic.       I was one of these people over seven years ago who walked out of the Movement Disord

Out of My Mind...

If you have been living with Parkinson's for a while, you are likely living at the mercy of Parkinson's medications. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful that medications are available. Without them, life would be miserable much of the time. But don't get me wrong (again), even with medication, you may feel like you are losing your mind. Early on, you take your meds on schedule, you can pretty much count on how long they will last and know what to avoid with them (protein maybe). As the years pass, and your symptoms progress, you would think you could either just, A. increase your meds or B. increase the frequency of your meds depending on what your doctor recommends. This seems logical to me. Sometimes this works, but eventually you end up with an E-ticket to the Dopacoaster. What is special about the Dopacoaster is that the tracks can change hour to hour. You took the ride yesterday and felt good. Life with PD was manageable. Today, you follow the same sche