Skip to main content

Google and Gadgets

 It seems someone is always trying to sell you something online and the Big Brother of the Internet has your demographics down to a science. I am one of those people who never gives truthful personal information online in an effort to not let Big Brother know me too well.  I told Facebook that I am a 114 year old man and yet, I get bombarded with ads for hot flash treatments and hormone supplements. How do THEY know? You only need to put one word in a google search and you will get ads for days and days related to that one topic.   These days, numerous ads for products, supplements, treatments and devices related to Parkinson's shower my social media. I know this is because of my daily searches for something, anything, new that might help me and others with Parkinson's.  As much as I try not to pay attention to these ads,  I'm as human and as desperate as the next person and it is hard not to hope something will work.   Once in a while, I will try out something if it is recommended by someone I know or I see that multiple people have recommended it.  I do this with a healthy dose of skepticism and an awareness of the company's return policy.

The first thing I bought online after reading a review from a fellow Parkinson's blogger was a weighted blanket. (Big shout out to Twitchy Woman for the recommendation).  I have personal experience seeing the benefit of these with Autistic children.  I LOVE my weighted blanket. I don't claim to know why it works, whether it just be the added physical weight on me or if that sensation actually does something to the nervous system but I know I feel better when I use it and my tremors are reduced.  On the downside, it is heavy.  If you have trouble turning in bed or getting out of bed, it might not be the thing for you.  It is also hot.  I have tucked it away for the summer and I miss it but the heat is just too much for me. I have actually considered using the blanket  on the side of my body affected by PD and hanging the other half out from under the covers, balancing out the hot and cold, but the gymnastics involved in keeping this balance and wanting to roll over in bed at 3 a.m. made me rethink this. 
I heard there is a "cooling" weighted blanket but am waiting for  more information before I jump on that one.  It doesn't seem possible that something so heavy could be cooling but I have been wrong before.

More recently, I tried a vibrating metronome worn on the wrist called the Soundbrenner Pulse that I saw some Rock Steady coaches discussing.  The device was designed for musicians, not people with neurological issues. This one peaked my interest because I have seen people move better when they have a rhythm to move to.  I often play music with a good beat when I need to cook dinner.  Having a rhythm makes my movements smoother.  My hope was that the vibrations would lessen my tremor.  Although it seemed like my tremor was less sometimes when using it, it didn't help at other times.  After many trials, my results were inconsistent.
 I did like wearing it when out for a walk but as of right now, I don't really need it for walking so I returned it.  I think there is a definite potential with this to help someone with gait issues and I know of a music therapist that uses vibrating metronomes for gait training, speech and singing. If you try this,  I highly recommend training with a music therapist or physical therapist to figure out how this might help you.

My latest purchase was Touch Points which are vibrating devices that are supposed to stimulate the Vagus nerve and calm the nervous system. You can wear them on the wrists or other places on the body. Unlike the Soundbrenner Pulse, you have to wear two of them.  I was more than a bit skeptical but the company offers a thirty day return policy so I figured why not?  My first few times trying them were disappointing.  I really thought I would be returning them.  Not wanting to give up on them too soon, I kept using them everyday for about 20 minutes at a time.  I used them later in the afternoon when my meds don't work as well and my anxiety peaks.  After a while, I forgot I had them on and would realize later that my anxiety was less and my tremors were reduced. 
I haven't worn them in public yet and even at home, my husband sometimes thinks my phone is buzzing when it is my Touch Points.  The scientist in me can't dismiss the fact that there may be some placebo effect in there but even if there is, they make me feel better and  help me until my next dose of meds kick in.  I'm not at the thirty day mark yet but am likely to keep these.

I am not a doctor, just a person living with Parkinson's,  that disease of the incredibly complex and sometimes completely mysterious brain.  I believe there is knowledge to be gained in exploring alternative options and I think that we should share that knowledge.  I am not recommending trying things with the potential to harm you or trying things that you can't return if they don't work for you.  I am recommending that if you try something, share the info on how it works with others.  We are all in this together and we are better when we fight together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missing Tom

I recently lost a good friend. Never would I have imagined that I would become such good buddies with a man old enough to be my dad. I met Tom over seven years ago in a Rock Steady Boxing class. I entered class as a shy, teary-eyed, newly diagnosed mess who didn't like to sweat and had never boxed. Tom quickly took me under his wing, introduced me to the movers and shakers in the local Parkinson's community and eventually recognized a potential in me to further help the community. Within a year, with the encouragement of Tom and others, I became a certified Rock Steady coach. Tom and I would go to the same conferences and seek out the newly diagnosed. Ever the salesman, Tom would ask me if I "closed the deal," meaning, did I convince someone to come to an exercise class or attend a support group. Tom knew the benefits of attending these groups and he wanted everyone else to know also. He just wanted everyone to live the best life possible, even while living

Diagnosing with Compassion and Hope

  My hackles are raised, my feathers are ruffled, my … I’m not sure I can find the words for how I am feeling.   This morning, I read a recently published article called “ Delivering the diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease-setting the stage with hope and compassion.”   I am not upset that the article was written.     I am glad that the authors have brought this to the attention of others. I am upset that it needed to be written.     I just think it is common sense that when someone is given a life-changing diagnosis, it should be given with hope and compassion.     The authors note that some say the moment of diagnosis is “almost akin to a traumatic event such as the loss of a loved one.” Of course it is!     The person receiving the diagnosis is losing their future self.     Everything they thought their life would be from that moment on has now drastically changed! I would count that as traumatic.       I was one of these people over seven years ago who walked out of the Movement Disord

Out of My Mind...

If you have been living with Parkinson's for a while, you are likely living at the mercy of Parkinson's medications. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful that medications are available. Without them, life would be miserable much of the time. But don't get me wrong (again), even with medication, you may feel like you are losing your mind. Early on, you take your meds on schedule, you can pretty much count on how long they will last and know what to avoid with them (protein maybe). As the years pass, and your symptoms progress, you would think you could either just, A. increase your meds or B. increase the frequency of your meds depending on what your doctor recommends. This seems logical to me. Sometimes this works, but eventually you end up with an E-ticket to the Dopacoaster. What is special about the Dopacoaster is that the tracks can change hour to hour. You took the ride yesterday and felt good. Life with PD was manageable. Today, you follow the same sche