Skip to main content

My New Normal

 Oct. 22, 2017

Whether  retired or still in the workforce, we all have lives and having PD on top of that  only adds to the mania of daily life. No one wants to do Parkinson's all day, yet we have no choice.   I am fortunate enough to only work part time but I often wonder how PwP, or other chronic illnesses, work full time and work on staying healthy.


My "new normal" involves going to the grocery store more often to get fresh produce and taking more time to plan meals. Long gone are the days of pulling through the drive thru to get a burger and fries when I don't feel like or don't have time to  make dinner.

My "new normal" also involves finding time to exercise every day.  Sometimes I go to the gym, sometimes I go hiking, sometimes I go to yoga class and sometimes I can only eek out a half hour to ride my exercise bike or jump on my elliptical.  My "new normal" also involves many more doctor visits than I ever imagined, PD conferences, support groups, not to mention the hours spent doing online research. My "new normal" is crazy busy because I get to go to the gym, I get to go to good doctors, I get to go to grocery store, and I have access to a world of online resources.  Dare I say thank you for my "new normal?"  To be honest, I'm still working on that one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Advocacy in a World of Red Tape

In a perfect world, a person with an illness or a disability would easily be able to get needed services and treatments. We do not live in a perfect world and often the healthcare system is littered with red tape. Patients or their care partners are tasked with jumping through hoops, waiting countless hours on hold with pharmacies or insurance companies, and waiting months to see specialists. I wish I had the solution to this problem but unfortunately, I only see it getting worse. You need to be an advocate for yourself.   Here’s what has helped me: ·        Be persistent, be firm and be polite.  ·        Call often.  A squeaky wheel gets attention. ·        Stay on hold.  It is frustrating but sometimes it is the only way. ·        If someone doesn’t have the answer you need, ask to speak with someone who does.  ·   ...

Medication Pumps for the Trend Setters

I jest.  You have to keep a sense of humor when you are living with a condition like Parkinson's.  I am actually very thankful for new treatments even if they aren't pink and pretty.

The True Meaning of Community

  Anytime PMD Alliance comes to town, I am happy to jump in and help.  I have been an ambassador for them for over 7 years now. Recently, Parkinson's Orange County (POC) partnered with PMD Alliance for a Community Connection event hosted at Capriana Senior Living in Brea.  The event included a networking reception on Friday evening, followed by a full day workshop on Saturday.  Not wanting to travel back and forth from South OC, my husband, Jeff, and I stayed the night in a local hotel.  The weekend started out great at Friday's reception.  I was back at my hotel and in bed early so I could be back at Capriana in the morning with plenty of time to unload my car and get our vendor table set up.  Since I was staying in Brea, I had assured Erin Angelo, POC's Executive Director, that I could get there before her, so I had all our supplies in my car.   As many of you know, Parkinson's often throws a wrench into the best laid plans, I woke up on Saturda...