Skip to main content

My New Normal

 Oct. 22, 2017

Whether  retired or still in the workforce, we all have lives and having PD on top of that  only adds to the mania of daily life. No one wants to do Parkinson's all day, yet we have no choice.   I am fortunate enough to only work part time but I often wonder how PwP, or other chronic illnesses, work full time and work on staying healthy.


My "new normal" involves going to the grocery store more often to get fresh produce and taking more time to plan meals. Long gone are the days of pulling through the drive thru to get a burger and fries when I don't feel like or don't have time to  make dinner.

My "new normal" also involves finding time to exercise every day.  Sometimes I go to the gym, sometimes I go hiking, sometimes I go to yoga class and sometimes I can only eek out a half hour to ride my exercise bike or jump on my elliptical.  My "new normal" also involves many more doctor visits than I ever imagined, PD conferences, support groups, not to mention the hours spent doing online research. My "new normal" is crazy busy because I get to go to the gym, I get to go to good doctors, I get to go to grocery store, and I have access to a world of online resources.  Dare I say thank you for my "new normal?"  To be honest, I'm still working on that one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missing Tom

I recently lost a good friend. Never would I have imagined that I would become such good buddies with a man old enough to be my dad. I met Tom over seven years ago in a Rock Steady Boxing class. I entered class as a shy, teary-eyed, newly diagnosed mess who didn't like to sweat and had never boxed. Tom quickly took me under his wing, introduced me to the movers and shakers in the local Parkinson's community and eventually recognized a potential in me to further help the community. Within a year, with the encouragement of Tom and others, I became a certified Rock Steady coach. Tom and I would go to the same conferences and seek out the newly diagnosed. Ever the salesman, Tom would ask me if I "closed the deal," meaning, did I convince someone to come to an exercise class or attend a support group. Tom knew the benefits of attending these groups and he wanted everyone else to know also. He just wanted everyone to live the best life possible, even while living

Diagnosing with Compassion and Hope

  My hackles are raised, my feathers are ruffled, my … I’m not sure I can find the words for how I am feeling.   This morning, I read a recently published article called “ Delivering the diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease-setting the stage with hope and compassion.”   I am not upset that the article was written.     I am glad that the authors have brought this to the attention of others. I am upset that it needed to be written.     I just think it is common sense that when someone is given a life-changing diagnosis, it should be given with hope and compassion.     The authors note that some say the moment of diagnosis is “almost akin to a traumatic event such as the loss of a loved one.” Of course it is!     The person receiving the diagnosis is losing their future self.     Everything they thought their life would be from that moment on has now drastically changed! I would count that as traumatic.       I was one of these people over seven years ago who walked out of the Movement Disord

Out of My Mind...

If you have been living with Parkinson's for a while, you are likely living at the mercy of Parkinson's medications. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful that medications are available. Without them, life would be miserable much of the time. But don't get me wrong (again), even with medication, you may feel like you are losing your mind. Early on, you take your meds on schedule, you can pretty much count on how long they will last and know what to avoid with them (protein maybe). As the years pass, and your symptoms progress, you would think you could either just, A. increase your meds or B. increase the frequency of your meds depending on what your doctor recommends. This seems logical to me. Sometimes this works, but eventually you end up with an E-ticket to the Dopacoaster. What is special about the Dopacoaster is that the tracks can change hour to hour. You took the ride yesterday and felt good. Life with PD was manageable. Today, you follow the same sche