Skip to main content

Missing Tom

I recently lost a good friend. Never would I have imagined that I would become such good buddies with a man old enough to be my dad. I met Tom over seven years ago in a Rock Steady Boxing class. I entered class as a shy, teary-eyed, newly diagnosed mess who didn't like to sweat and had never boxed. Tom quickly took me under his wing, introduced me to the movers and shakers in the local Parkinson's community and eventually recognized a potential in me to further help the community. Within a year, with the encouragement of Tom and others, I became a certified Rock Steady coach. Tom and I would go to the same conferences and seek out the newly diagnosed. Ever the salesman, Tom would ask me if I "closed the deal," meaning, did I convince someone to come to an exercise class or attend a support group. Tom knew the benefits of attending these groups and he wanted everyone else to know also. He just wanted everyone to live the best life possible, even while living with Parkinson's. 

 Over time, I increased my role as an advocate for those with Parkinsons. Although I thought I was doing all I could do to help the PD cause, Tom always had yet another idea, another group that needed information or a speaker. I would often tell Tom that it was a great idea but my plate was full and I couldn't do any more. Countless times, I would end up agreeing to whatever he suggested within a matter of weeks. He would plant the idea, accept my "NO" and wait...until I would give in. I swear that when I said my plate was full, he was thinking, "I'll get you a bigger plate and find someone to help you carry it." 

 In our Rock Steady program, we all had fighter names like Killer, Ms. Tyson, The Punisher and The Tiny Dancer. I was The Beast. I honestly don't remember Tom's real fighter name because I had dubbed him The Delegator. He had big ideas and somehow got me or someone else to carry them out. The truth is, much of the time, things wouldn't have happened without Tom's nudging. He was instrumental in the growth of the South OC support group, in forming and continuing PD Buzz and he raised tens of thousands of dollars to help people living with PD afford medications, exercise classes, therapies and more. In the most recent months, Tom was key in finding (nudging) someone to carry on our work and take PD Buzz to the next level and become a much needed proper organization itself. I was thrilled to be able to tell Tom just weeks before he passed, that we had a director and plans were in motion for the much needed Parkinson's Orange County. I am sure whenever someone comes up with a big idea that I am not sure we can handle, I will feel Tom nudging us along. 

 Tom was my mentor, my cheerleader, and my dear friend. I will miss him calling me QB (Queen Bee) and asking if I could come over to play (come over and chat with him and Martha) and I will miss him harassing me with new big ideas. For a while, I know my instinct will be to call him first when I have good news. I am sad that he won't be there to pick up the phone. I am sad at the loss of my friend. I am sad for his family. And I am sad for those to come in the Parkinson's community that won't have the benefit and the honor of knowing him, and I pray that there be more Toms to come in the future.

 Tom, I know Heaven's doors were wide open for you my friend and I will see you again someday. Until then, I will do my best to carry on what you started and nudge others along with new big ideas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diagnosing with Compassion and Hope

  My hackles are raised, my feathers are ruffled, my … I’m not sure I can find the words for how I am feeling.   This morning, I read a recently published article called “ Delivering the diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease-setting the stage with hope and compassion.”   I am not upset that the article was written.     I am glad that the authors have brought this to the attention of others. I am upset that it needed to be written.     I just think it is common sense that when someone is given a life-changing diagnosis, it should be given with hope and compassion.     The authors note that some say the moment of diagnosis is “almost akin to a traumatic event such as the loss of a loved one.” Of course it is!     The person receiving the diagnosis is losing their future self.     Everything they thought their life would be from that moment on has now drastically changed! I would count that as traumatic.       I was one of these people over seven years ago who walked out of the Movement Disord

Out of My Mind...

If you have been living with Parkinson's for a while, you are likely living at the mercy of Parkinson's medications. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful that medications are available. Without them, life would be miserable much of the time. But don't get me wrong (again), even with medication, you may feel like you are losing your mind. Early on, you take your meds on schedule, you can pretty much count on how long they will last and know what to avoid with them (protein maybe). As the years pass, and your symptoms progress, you would think you could either just, A. increase your meds or B. increase the frequency of your meds depending on what your doctor recommends. This seems logical to me. Sometimes this works, but eventually you end up with an E-ticket to the Dopacoaster. What is special about the Dopacoaster is that the tracks can change hour to hour. You took the ride yesterday and felt good. Life with PD was manageable. Today, you follow the same sche